Self Education Expenses
Peter Bayliss avatar
Written by Peter Bayliss
Updated over a week ago

You are able to claim a deduction for Self-Education expenses if they meet the following criteria:

  • Lead to a formal qualification

  • Have sufficient connection with your current employment and either maintain/improve the your current skill set or knowledge in your role, or may lead to an increase in your income in your current employment.

If your expenses do not exactly meet this criteria, then you are not able to make this claim. For example, if the qualification allows you to get new employment, then this is not deductable. 

Examples of what you can claim are as follows:

  • Course/Conference/Tuition Fees

  • Accommodation and meals if you stay overnight

  • Computer expenses 

  • Depreciation on any capital expenditure (over $300)

  • Repairs on any capital assets

  • Travel expenses & Fares

  • Home office costs 

  • Internet 

  • Parking (directly related)

  • Phone usage

  • Postage & Stationery

  • Student union fees

  • Any other student fees

  • Textbooks

  • Journals

  • Travel to and from education precinct

Examples you can't claim:

  • meals when you are not staying overnight

  • repayment of HECS/HELP loan

  • home office occupancy expenses

If you have any questions regarding these claims, please don't hesitate to contact us here at Nixer.

Did this answer your question?